Welcome back to the weekly Dividend Dollars portfolio review which is brought to you by Sharesight, a portfolio tracking tool that I am happy to partner with. Their platform makes tracking trading and dividend history, understanding your performance, and saving time a breeze. I wrote a review of the product that you can read here if you’re interested in learning more! Click the link above or the picture below to get a special offer only for Dividend Dollar readers!
Here at Dividend Dollars, our investing approach is a dividend growth strategy with aspects of value investing and fundamental analysis. I am a young investor in my 20’s and by sticking to this strategy over the long term, the magical powers of compounding are on my side. This allows me to more easily build substantial positions in dividend paying stocks over time, which will one day help me reach the ultimate goal of being financially free through the sources of passive income they provide. You can read more about the strategy here. Let’s dive into the portfolio review!
To date, I have invested $15,970 into the account. The total value of all positions plus any cash on hand is $15,642.60. That’s a total loss of 2.05%. The account is down $228.88 for the week which is a 1.44% loss. We added $120 in cash to the account last week, trades made will be broken out below.
We started building this portfolio on 9/24/2021 and when compared to the S&P 500 we are outperforming the market so far! Within that same timeframe, the S&P 500 is down -7.44% which puts us 5.4% higher than the market!
Above is a dashboard of the portfolio that tracks annual dividend income, yield, beta, dividend growth, and more.
Below is a table of everything we are invested in so far. There you can see my number of shares, shares bought through dividend reinvestments, average cost, gains, and more. The tickers in green are positions that I bought shares in this week, the blue ones are positions that I reinvested dividends into, the yellow ones are positions that announced a dividend increase this week, and the red are positions that I trimmed. Our PADI stayed flat this week at $556.
This week we received on dividend, $2.28 from $APD.
In my portfolio, all positions have dividend reinvestment enabled. I don’t hold onto the dividend, I don’t try to time the reinvestment, I just let my broker do it automatically. The $SPY dividend hit afterhours on Friday, so that will be invested automatically on Monday.
Dividends received for 2023: $195.11
Portfolio’s Lifetime Dividends: $605.51
This week we continued to use the turtle trend trade strategy on a few ETFs, this week they performed decently with $XLC gaining 2.5%, $MGK 0.8%, and $MEXX 4%. I have published a full article on the turtle trend strategy which you can read here.
Aside from Turtle trades, we added to our $APD position after their poorly received earnings report. The dividend also happened to be reinvested on Monday as well.
Full details for my trades are below:
- May 1st, 2023
- Intel ($INTC) – added 1 share at $30.46
- Cummins ($CMI) – added 0.2 shares at $234.80
- AT&T ($T) – dividend reinvested
- May 2nd, 2023
- Cummins ($CMI) – added 0.5 shares at $231.72
- Intel ($INTC) – added 1 share at $29.88
- Bank of America ($BAC) – added 3 shares at $28.00
- Novo Nordisk ($NVO) – added 1 share at $167.92
- Global X S&P 500 Covered Call & Growth ETF ($XYLG) – dividend reinvested
- May 4th, 2023
- Direxion Daily Small Cap Bear ETF ($TZA) – added 5 shares at $36.20 (trend add level)
- ETRACS 2x Monthly Pay Levered US Small Cap ($SMHB) – added 10 shares at $4.13
- Schwab US Dividend Equity ETF ($SCHD) – added 0.4 shares at $69.75
- May 5th, 2023
- Direxion Daily Small Cap Bear ETF ($TZA) – sold 12 share position at $33.09, trend stop hit ($24.84 loss)
- Investment Managers Series Trust II AXS Short Innovation Daily ETF ($SARK) – sold 14 share position at $42.80, trend stop hit ($25.34 loss)
- Direxion Daily MSCI Mexico Bull 3x ($MEXX) – added 2 shares at $144.79, trend trade entry
- May 8th, 2023
- Air Products & Chemicals ($APD) – dividend reinvested
- May 9th, 2023
- Air Products & Chemicals ($APD) – added 0.25 shares at $282.52
- May 10th, 2023
- Direxion Daily MSCI Mexico Bull 3x ($MEXX) – added 1 share at $153.61, trend trade add
- Vanguard Mega Cap 300 Growth ETF ($MGK) – added 2 shares at $209.29, trend trade add
Next week I will look to continue my weekly buys into $SPY, $SCHD, and $XYLG and watch for opportunistic adds as well as trend opportunities. I’ll be looking to add to my redder positions in $MMM under $100 and $BAC under $27 to take advantage of the coming ex-dividend dates. I will also be keeping my eyes on $ATVI to see if it falls below my cost basis for a potential add. The stock lost substantial gains two weeks ago on account of the CMA blocking the transaction. Read my recap on the situation here.
That is it for the update this week. The market recap and outlook is also live and provides tons of information on what macro statistics I look at to keep a temperature gauge on the market and inform my portfolio movements. Read this week’s here!
I will also work on finishing my write up on the trend following strategy to share with you, so stay tuned for that.
Thank you for reading! See you next week and stay safe!